If you Google the word leadership you can get about 479,000,000 results, each definition as unique as an individual leader.
It’s a difficult concept to define, perhaps because it means so many things to different people.
Here are 100 of the best ways to define leadership–choose the ones that fits best for you.
1. „A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” –Lao Tzu
2. „A good leader takes a little more than his share of the blame, a little less than his share of the credit.” –Arnold Glasow
3. „The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” –Martin Luther King Jr
4. „You don’t need a title to be a leader.” –Mark Sanborn
5. „It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.” –Nelson Mandela
6. „Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.” –John F. Kennedy
7. „The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things.” –Ronald Reagan
8. „Successful leadership is leading with the heart, not just the head. They possess qualities like empathy, compassion and courage.” –Bill George
9. „The task of leadership is not to put greatness into people, but to elicit it, for the greatness is there already.” –John Buchan
10. „A great person attracts great people and knows how to hold them together.”–Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
11. „When the leadership is right and the time is right, the people can always be counted upon to follow–to the end at all costs.” –Harold J. Seymour
12. „Leaders must be self-reliant individuals with great tenacity and stamina.”–Thomas E. Cronin
13. „Leadership: The capacity and will to rally people to a common purpose together with the character that inspires confidence and trust.” –Bernard Montgomery
14. „All of the great leaders have had one characteristic in common: it was the willingness to confront unequivocally the major anxiety of their people in their time. This, and not much else, is the essence of leadership.” –John Kenneth Galbraith
15. „Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality.” –Warren Bennis
16. „Leadership defines what the future should look like, aligns people with that vision, and inspires them to make it happen, despite the obstacles.” –John Kotter
17. ” I start with the premise that the function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers.” –Ralph Nader
18. „I think leadership comes from integrity–that you do whatever you ask others to do. I think there are non-obvious ways to lead. Just by providing a good example as a parent, a friend, a neighbor makes it possible for other people to see better ways to do things. Leadership does not need to be a dramatic, fist in the air and trumpets blaring, activity.” –Scott Berkun
19. „Leadership is the capacity to influence others through inspiration motivated by passion, generated by vision, produced by a conviction, ignited by a purpose.” –Myles Munroe
20. „Leadership is unlocking people’s potential to become better.” –Bill Bradley